Tuesday, November 21, 2006

NO MORE PROGRAMS AND ALGOS- BACK TO BUSINESS


Studying a silly subject on computers was always the last things I would have wanted to do from the day I had taken up MECHANICAL engineering. Subjects like C, C++, Data Structures, SQL, Visual Basics and now CAD/CAM have always stepped on my weakest nerve. And after 7 grueling semesters, each containing programs and algorithms of varying sizes and blood sucking capabilities, it is FINALLY over.

And what a way to end this ‘percentage lowering factor’, just the way it has been always. 50 marks of CAD (Computer aided Design) and I attempted as much as half of it. Frankly speaking I didn’t even know bits and pieces worth 50 marks including options and of whatever I knew I was so jaded to heave it down my pen.

Of the COMPLETE one hour that I prearranged to write my last rites of computers linked subject, I could only manage to do so in the most untidy handwriting. Even a lame passerby (I mean the supervisor) gave me a bizarre look the moment he saw me scribble some crap on a very good quality Mumbai University Answer Sheet.

The reason of my complete disinterest in these subjects is purely because of the thought that ‘If I were to do all the computer programming, what would the computer engineers be paid for?’ I can’t see this happen to my friends from computer engineering.

However some might claim that a basic knowledge of computers can be handy for any person, but why the f*** do we have to do hard core programming. And to top it all theory straight from mars which only aliens can comprehend from typically available notes and Xeroxes. Ok fine, I know to run my computer, understand standard application programs, play the most complicated of games and also format and reinstall my PC. Isn’t that good enough for a Mechanical Engineer?

The worst part of this story is that; Mechanical/Civil/Electrical Engineers are constantly subjected to repetitive dumbing down by Computers/IT/Electronics/Telecommunication Engineers. I recall of what once a neighbor of my friend once told him after he got into VJTI Mech, “Kyun beta marks kam mille the jo mekanikal (mechanical) liya, kumputar (computer) ya IT nahi milla kya. Mekanikal ka koi scope nahi hai”. I don’t say that computers is bad and mech is the best. The point I am trying to make is that a mech engineer does not get the respect that a computer engineer gets just because there isn’t much money involved into it. Truly this false belief is shaken by the placements figures of my batch. The placement percentage is very high (with almost everyone placed) and extremely fancy packages as compared to what a computer/IT based company would offer.

So all you fellow mechies (if any reading it), the world is waiting for you (Looking at past activities, Pune would very soon have more than 5000 acres of automobile industry waiting for all of you.). For all those who have taken mechanical engineer for the love of it, the opportunity is just the Mumbai-Pune Expressway away.

To end it - Computer Programming for me is FINALLY OVER. I am back to my business – I call it – Mechanical Engineering.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so, finally welcome to the club of engineers fed up with the system of engg, anyways a nice post, keep up the good work

Kaarta said...

I like programming! Wish we had more on it in Electronics!